Tips For Moving During The Winter Months
Posted Dec 16th, 2014
Moving can be stressful, especially when moving during the winter.
We understand moving can feel like a chore but being prepared for your move is the key to success. This is especially true when moving during the winter when we’d rather be sitting inside in the warmth. While snow is not typically a problem when moving in Santa Rosa or North Bay, ice and rain certainly can be. Here are our tips for moving during the winter months and things to think about…
- Be mindful of temperature sensitive items. While we rarely have freezing conditions, these issues can affect fragile pieces such as glass, china and plants.
- Be prepared. Since moves are scheduled in advance, we don’t know the weather conditions on move day. Have a contingency plan for day of move if the weather is extremely bad.
- It could rain. If it does rain, make sure you have all items that could be damaged by rain well wrapped (if packing yourself).
- Think of your pets first. If you have pets, we recommend moving your pet prior to move day or have your pet stay with family or friends. We don’t want to risk injury to your pets and they’d rather be in a warm place.
- Keep outdoor walkway clear. Make sure your driveway, sidewalks and walkways are clear. If the surface happens to be slippery, make sure to cover these areas to avoid accidents.
- Cover your floors. With winter conditions, its easy to track mud, leaves and other debris inside during a move. Protect your carpets and floors. Any hardware store will have supplies to cover your floors. Make sure to secure what ever material you use to avoid tripping on the material.
- Keep Utilities On. Make sure you keep your utilities on. During the winter you don’t get as much exterior light as you would during the summer. There are rooms that may need to be moved that will have poor visibility with no lights.
Winter moves are not an problem, whether you choose to pack and move yourself, pack and have us move or use North Bay Movers as your full service moving company. We have the professional movers that can safely move your belongings from one location to another. With over 30 years of experience and thousands of happy customers, we are the professionals of moving during the winter.